Saturday, July 16, 2011

Mother's Day Card

I was cruising around the internet looking for fun craft ideas when I came across THIS blog and picture. I knew immediately that I wanted to make it, but Valentine's Day had just passed and I wanted to make this NOW! So, it hit me, I could do this for a Mother's Day project with my fourth graders. Instead of lollipops, we'd insert a flower. It would be simple and inexpensive, but so sweet at the same time. I took a picture of each student with their arm reaching towards me. I let the kids choose black/white or color print (edited at home in Picasa before uploading to Walgreens) and then printed those for about 10 cents each at Walgreens. I bought 2 rolls of crepe paper for the flowers. I followed THIS flower tutorial, which was easy for the kids to do. I modeled how to make it for the kids and then left the tutorial on the Promethian Board for a reference. I had a station set up in the back of the room for the "finishing touches." We hot glued the flower to a green pipe cleaner stem. I used a hole puncher to punch 2 holes for the stem to slide in. The kids tied a bow around the stem and that was it.
This is the finished product.
Photobucket

No comments: